Thursday, June 2, 2011

June Challenge!

At one point I toyed with the idea of doing a month where I practiced a foreign language. I've been using the same few French & Mandarin words for nearly ten years with little to no improvement. I thought about how there are so many words to learn, would I ever be able to effectively communicate in French, Mandarin or Spanish? I then realized I don't even know all the words in the English language.

I'd like to learn some new words, and incorporate them into my daily speech. I'd like to shy away from simple and lazy words. Hearing people (even myself)say words like "stuff" and "thing" or "thingy" have become pet peeves. I even cringe when I hear myself say certain four letter words, like "dude". For this month's challenge I'm going to follow Dictionary.com's Word of the Day and use that word in conversation, properly, and without being haughty.

The goal of this challenge isn't to be more verbose, but you know, be a better communicator and stuff.

*As a sub-challenge, if you hear me say certain four letter words, like "dude", and politely call me out on it, you will win a free taco. Living Challenged just got social.

4 comments:

  1. A short play by Jon & Victoria:

    Jon: Mr. Goodwin is going to avoid using words like "stuff" and "thing" in order to improve his... er..his...erm...
    Victoria: Vocabulary!?
    Jon:...yes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great challenge! I might follow along on this one (not to steal your thunder or anything...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please please follow along. I strongly encourage people to follow along, do the challenges and post their thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete