Friday, June 10, 2011

Umbra

umbra
\UHM-bruh\ , noun;
1.
The invariable or characteristic accompaniment or companion of a person or thing.
2.
Shade; shadow.
3.
In astronomy, the complete shadow of an opaque body, as a planet, where the direct light from the source of illumination is completely cut off.
4.
A phantom or shadowy apparition, as of someone or something not physically present; ghost; spectral image.


I haven't used this one yet today. Quick someone call me so I can use this word on them. Standard fees may apply.

2 comments:

  1. Ah. This word came up quite a few times in my ad photography class. Do comments count as a conversation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely counts. Not only would I be able to use the comments section as a tool for the WotD but I see it as a tool for suggestions, comments, opinions and another way for me to cosher upon my three readers.

    ReplyDelete