Monday, August 1, 2011

Healthy eating - Resources

For any who may be interested in additional reading or research materials, you may want to consider the following. There are many paths and methods that lead to a similar healthy outcome - each of these authors and researchers comes to a slightly different conclusion, but I have found each to be valuable:

Books:
  • Why We Get Fat (and what to do about it) - Gary Taubes - Amazon
  • The Paleo Solution - Robb Wolf - Amazon
  • Everyday Paleo - Sarah Fragoso - Amazon
  • The Paleo Diet - Dr. Loren Cordain - Amazon
  • The Primal Blueprint - Mark Sisson - Amazon
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind - Nora Gegaudas - Amazon
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration - Weston A. Price - Project Gutenberg Australia
  • Nourishing Traditions - Sally Fallon - Amazon
Blogs

I cannot recommend, nor would I agree with every word of what you will find at any of the above - I have not read them all (yet) in their entirety. Suffice to say they are provided for reference, and I continue to follow them for additional information.

----

Thanks to Jonathan for allowing us to team up for this challenge, and I look forward to seeing future results from him and others who may be similarly challenged to make a change. I hope you are helped by our experience.


3 comments:

  1. This was a great challenge! Thanks for taking the time to keep us up to date on your progress. I am curious what you two think of the eating for your Blood Type...I don't want to say diet but using your Blood Type to choose what foods to eat? I know it has evolution roots but I wonder if our bodies are truly programmed to eat different foods in regards to blood type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to read a bit more about it, but the info I find thus far doesn't give me confidence in the blood type approach: it seems to be based largely on evolutionary and anecdotal evidence, with very little rigorous testing.

    http://www.skepdic.com/bloodtypediet.html

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-book/references/questions-and-answers/#metabolic

    Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" notes that any diet can show results to the degree that it encourages the removal of processed carbohydrate/sugar from one's intake. Results may be achieved with any weight loss program, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is healthy for everyone or for the long term. We are much more complicated and adaptable organisms than our 4 basic blood types would indicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info! I am also a bit wary about the idea of your blood type determining what your body processes best. It was an interesting concept though.

    ReplyDelete