Tuesday, March 1, 2011

January Results

I should have published this blog at the start of the year, I believe the blog aspect of the year will be an encouragement. Normally, I will update more frequently, but to catch you up to speed...

In the month of January, I went vegetarian. I cooked vegetarian. I ate vegetarian. Some might say I started to act vegetarian. This was setting up to be the easiest challenge ahead of me, I loved it.


Then...I took a spontaneous trip to North Carolina to visit a friend. Could I have maintained my diet of plants while visiting the "Old North State"? Would looking like a California hippie be too much pressure "down south"? Would I reject the offer to eat one of my closest friends favorite foods with him because of a challenge?




Challenge Result: FAILED

Analysis: When I returned home I made excuses for a few days. "I was on vacation, what was I supposed to do?" "It's not really fair, I didn't know I was going on this trip when I started this challenge." "I would have succeeded if I hadn't gone on the trip."

With the help of my roommate Stuntman, I came to realize there are no excuses. I need to be honest with myself and the truth is we all make decisions in life. It was more important to be a ravenous meat eater with my friend than to maintain my challenge. Going to NC and staying vegetarian was the biggest challenge of the month, but I decided to give up. The question I must ask myself is why did I give up? What does that say about me? The challenge?

I had a great time doing it. I learned how to cook many different types of veggies. I prepared dinner for 3 and then a dinner for 5 for the first time in my life, completely vegetarian. I'd even say that since January, my meals at home are much more balanced.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm. I love me some veggies. On my own I never, ever cook meat, but I understand how being someone's guest (even just with them out on the town) is a completely different story! hahaha. And I know who the company was so it makes it that more understandable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon you're hilarious.....miss you

    ReplyDelete