Friday, May 27, 2011

Life in the Ranch Lane

I've spent the last week at the Ranch working for some longtime friends on their land. The experience alone was amazing and a challenge in and of itself. As a metropolitan, thinking of a morning "workday" routine would conjure up images of checking voice-mails, e-mails, and caffeinated beverage. Carrying large "splinter ready" wood posts wrapped in barbed wire up a small winding hill isn't the first task I'd imagine myself doing on a "workday", but that is what I did, and I loved it. The work causes a real sweat, but is often cooled by the spring breeze that covers the surface of the ranch. The work load included common tasks and projects for someone who has years or even months of experience working outside landscaping, on a farm, ranch or construction site.

To be given the opportunity to work in this environment for a few days for the first time in my life is one I will cherish. I was able to expand my skill set. Before now I had never mixed and poured concrete, dug trenches, worked a tractor, handled a chainsaw, weed whacked a small hillside, built a (proper and sustaining) fire, built a large cage for a chicken coop, used a table saw with ease or removed dry wall. These tasks were but just a few of the activities included in my adventure. Hanging off the back of a tractor as it climbed a steep, narrow, recently made trail up a mountain so we could begin construction of what will soon be a horse corral might be more thrilling than any roller coaster ride I've been on.


The work was hard but I had the energy and sustenance needed for each day as quality food was provided. Organic and raw foods. Meat from free range, grass-fed animals. Everything cooked to perfection. I'm sure you are thinking, "this week sounds pretty great. As long as you aren't a "girlie-man, where is the challenge."

Most mornings fruits or vegetables were turned into the freshest smoothies. After each day of hard work, the men would crack open a few beers. It was a Great Day For A Beer every day times 100. That however, is just the beginning.
The family, along with myself and another friend who came to work, would go to the beach to end the day with some surfing, talking, and a bottle of wine. Good wine. This family clearly has taste, and there is definitely no slacking when it comes to wine.

They all knew about my challenge, and respected it, but every time a non-water beverage was opened, made, or poured, a glass was brought out for me or one was offered. My friend, the same friend I visited in January, made an effort to get me to drink or go out of his way to explain how delicious the beverage tasted. If I declined, he had no problem having my portion. I told him to do his best to convince me to cave in. Much like January, he was very convincing and he wasn't alone. The man of the house, opened up a bottle from one of his favorite local vineyards, a 2008 Dierberg from the Drum Canyon Vineyard of Santa Rita Hills. "This one is for you Jonathan!"

I didn't want to fail this challenge but how often does an experience like this happen. Does a water challenge really matter?

1 comment:

  1. Did you cave? Really? Over a bottle of red wine?
    Please tell me you didn't.....

    ReplyDelete