Monday, May 9, 2011

Stumble on My Trip?

Quick Mother's Day trip to the Bay Area included seeing some friends and family for the first time in nearly a year. The last time I took a trip this year, it resulted in my first obstacle and my first defeat by a challenge in January's Vegetarian Challenge. With less than a week into this month's challenge, I journeyed to the San Francisco Bay Area, my home away from home.

During the flight I was asked a simple question by the flight attendant - "What can I get for you to drink?" I had to think for a moment. My synapses fired and I thought about how I'd answered this question in the past.

At Age 10: "Your finest ale, ginger ale."

At Age 16: "Rum & Coke, just kidding, what types of juice do you have?"

At Age 21: "What type of beer do you have? Oh okay. Rum & Coke."

At Age 22: "What type of juices do you have? Vodka & Cranberry Juice, thank you. How much? Okay, I'll just have a ginger ale."

At Age 24: "Gin & Tonic, please."


None of those answer would fly now. But I'm going to treat myself, it is Mother's Day weekend right? "I'll have some sparkling water, thank you." Oh and how is it that special days have become weekends? Memorial Day Weekend, Mother's Day Weekend, Birthday Weekend. No. It's a day, twenty-four hours. There is no extension of special days to excuse for irrational or selfish behavior. (/end The Lonely Pie rant)

Can't say enough how nice it was to spend a few days with the family again, and everything that comes with it. Saturday night brought a fantastic Mexican dinner. "Want a sip of my margarita", says the older sister to the thirsty younger brother. "Straight edge, means I'm better than you", he replies after looking at her glass. The ice looked like it was having a pool party in her glass.

Sunday brought the always enjoyable Mother's Day Brunch Two-Hour Champaign Sailing Tour, wait what?! It would be this year that we decide to do something different and go on a sailing adventure around the bay complete with complimentary champagne! "Can I get you another bottle of water", says the sister, in a winning remark, right before the family unite their glasses in a cheer for Mother's Day.



Honestly, some champagne would have been nice, and it was the focus of the story as it is relevant to the challenge, but the sailing trip was beyond amazing & beautiful. The champagne aspect wasn't a big part of the sailing adventure, but it was definitely worth highlighting as it was an obstacle. I really wanted a glass, and it wasn't easy saying no. However, the family was together, having a great time, and my mom was happy. We all had a blast, we shared laughs, memories, and stories just like we always do. The important part of the day and of most gatherings is getting together with people you care about. My brother in law didn't have champagne either, but enjoyed coconut water, which I was offered, but I felt would still be a violation of the challenge. Doesn't matter if we have a brunch, go sailing, or go bowling - good times will happen.

I've returned home, and I've been invited to go out tonight with visiting friends. The journey continues...

1 comment:

  1. I teared up a little bit at not having champagne on a champagne sailing tour . . . You're strong, my friend.

    ReplyDelete